Jackson-Hewitt Franchisee Speeds In-Store Retail Kiosk Deployment with Cradlepoint Network Solutions
During tax season, Jackson-Hewitt of Northern Georgia offers tax preparation services in retail locations like Walmart and K-Mart. They set up temporary kiosks in these retail locations that require Internet access and phone service.
Provisioning broadband DSL line and phone lines every tax season was costly, time consuming and frustrating. Just ask Jackson-Hewitt franchise owner John Beazle.
“Have you ever tried to get a DSL line into a Walmart?” he asks with a laugh. Beazle detailed some of the difficulties:
- Because Beazle’s Jackson-Hewitt offices cover considerable territory in Northern Georgia, he must coordinate with four different phone companies to provision the different store locations his kiosks are in
- There is a 5-10 day wait for the different phone companies to send field technicians to the retail sites Beazle must coordinate with each store manager to ensure his operations don’t interfere with the store’s existing IT infrastructure
- The day of installation, Beazle or one of his employees must be at the Walmart or K-Mart all morning or all afternoon because the phone companies can’t specify a time when they will be on-site. Installation and setup costs run about $300 per site; then there are the monthly fees (usually higher since he’s on month-to-month contracts for the 4 months of tax season)
- Each year, the new phone numbers of the sites which must be communicated throughout his organization
- At the end of tax season, the DSL and phone service at each site must be cancelled and disconnected
John Beazle got a Cradlepoint 3G/4G/LTE solution for each location to BYON (Bring Your Own Network). Because the Cradlepoint uses cellular networks to connect to the Internet, it provides the instant connectivity his employees’ computers need…without the provisioning or installation hassles of DSL or cable.
“I walk in with everything I need. With the Cradlepoint router, in less than an hour, the kiosk is up and running and ready to go. No waiting. No relying on anyone but me."
Beazle’s Jackson-Hewitt office is also implementing a new VoIP phone system. This allows the retail sites to become extensions of his main phone network. Their VoIP phones plug right into the Cradlepoint. This eliminates the need to pay for new phone lines or individual phone numbers. More importantly, it gives his customers a better experience. “Someone calls into the main number and they can get transferred to the retail site seamlessly. It’s much smoother and delivers better customer service.”
Beazle also appreciates the Cradlepoint's optimization capabilities. The solution dynamically prioritizes VoIP packets to provide the highest call quality possible. “No other router in the price range has that kind of capability,” says Beazle.
“I can’t believe Cradlepoint is so inexpensive and reliable, too. We’ve had zero downtime.”
John Beazle and his Jackson-Hewitt franchises have realized a number of advantages by using the Cradlepoint instant network solutions:
- Just one 3G/4G/LTE service provider to deal with instead of four different phone companies, saving time for management and money with pooled data plans
- No reliance on third parties to install service so retail kiosks can be set up whenever it’s convenient
- Store managers no longer have to worry about the impact of foreign DSL lines and phone lines because we can BYON
- Zero installation, setup costs or time delays
- VoIP phones at each retail site become extensions of the main phone system, enhancing customer service, eliminating the need to learn new phone numbers and reducing costs
- At the end of tax season, the Cradlepoint router and 3G/4G/LTE service will enable Beazle and his employees to work remotely, providing greater flexibility and quality of life
- As 4G becomes more common, Jackson-Hewitt will be able to take advantage of the latest wireless technology with just a simple swap of USB modems
“It’s really user friendly. It’s so easy to setup, my 12-year old granddaughter could do it. I’m sharing my experiences with other Jackson-Hewitt franchises. They face the same challenges as I do and they’re really excited.”