5G solutions provide faster, more secure connectivity for enterprise networking
The fifth generation of wireless technology, 5G, has been touted as the next game-changer for wireless networks designed to meet the needs of the future. Well, the future is here, and diverse types of 5G offer faster speed, reliability, and security compared to 4G LTE, which has been the standard for many years. 5G also has lower latency and higher bandwidth than older generations of wireless technology, making it a more efficient solution for transmitting and processing data.
The advent of 5G and its many benefits have created an evolution within enterprise networking. As businesses integrate this technology, their day-to-day operations are transformed, creating a more dynamic and agile environment, a new era of innovation, and the potential to increase productivity for both companies and employees.
5G wireless routers are the next generation of enterprise-grade wireless routers that will enable a whole new level of connectivity for businesses.
What makes 5G routers different from other routers?
5G promises a slew of new capabilities that will benefit businesses. However, beyond the expected power and processing improvements, numerous differentiating factors elevate 5G wireless routers:
- The flexibility to have multiple cellular connections with two modems and up to four different carrier SIM cards.
- The use of Cellular Intelligence to optimize wireless connections and use cellular attributes in SD-WAN.
- The ability to use the router's interface to administer SIM management services.
- Compatibility with advanced 5G security features including Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) and Secure Access Service Edge (SASE).
- A more streamlined administration system is used in the construction of cellular routers, making them simple to activate, troubleshoot, and manage.
Key considerations when choosing 5G routers and adapters
5G promises a lot of new capabilities that will be useful for enterprises, but there are many considerations to make before selecting the 5G router that’s best for you and your company’s needs. Businesses that want to reap the benefits of 5G while maintaining enterprise security, reliability, and manageability standards do not want to rely on consumer electronics. A true 5G router must fulfill these five fundamental imperatives:
- Be compatible with a full range of cellular technologies: From 4G LTE to Gigabit-Class LTE to 5G — with the capacity to seamlessly migrate tens of thousands of sites across generations when new technology becomes available across individual locations.
- Support for the entire 5G spectrum: Starting with the lowest frequency bands of sub-1GHz and progressing to the highest frequency bands of mmWave — all while providing customized data plan management and forecasting for each location, remotely, through a modern point-and-click platform.
- Complete lifecycle management: Mobile installation applications, "captive modem" functionality, 5G analytics and tools, and Out-of-Band Management are some of the features included. These allow for improved operation and management efficiency.
- Carrier-class connectivity: Provide tailored software-defined modem versions for each network operator's requirements and capabilities, preprogrammed routers and adapters, and multi-level integrity tests to predict vulnerable connections.
- Compatible intelligent hybrid WAN connectivity: Delivers effortless wireless router management in a wired-first SD-WAN environment and all-in-one capabilities (routing, embedded wireless, and foundational SD-WAN) in a wireless-first SD-WAN deployment.
What can 5G do for business?
MPLS and other dedicated lines used largely in the past for latency-sensitive applications are being replaced by 5G services, which are more flexible and cost-effective. As more users and devices come online in the same physical region, 5G can accommodate more connections without reducing availability.
But implementing successful 5G solutions goes beyond simply connecting to available spectrum. 5G routers with Cellular Intelligence enable secure, customizable, easy-to-manage cellular broadband connectivity with little to no downtime.
Unlike their technological ancestors, these routers aren’t restricted to a hefty wall mount. Because of their versatility, businesses can deploy 5G adapters and routers in offices, kiosks, pop-up locations, and more. 5G mobile routers can provide connectivity on vehicles from school buses to trains to police cars, and IoT routers ensure devices are still able to run high-bandwidth applications like video surveillance, even in remote locations.
As cellular broadband technology becomes more advanced, so does the aptitude and creativity of those trying to steal sensitive information. Thanks to carrier security advancements at the network core, 5G is more secure than its predecessors and offers opportunities for businesses to enhance their network security through 5G network slicing and more.
Including 5G solutions in your enterprise networking strategy
5G technology is ready to provide faster wireless speeds and better coverage. This means it can be used for a variety of things, including extending the reach of enterprise networks. Research has shown that 5G routers have the potential to replace more traditional enterprise routers in several scenarios ranging from in-building deployments to high-bandwidth, mission-critical data transfers.
Whether you plan to capitalize on current 5G capabilities or futureproof your business as performance needs and network availability demands increase, Cradlepoint has a portfolio of 5G products specifically designed and tested for an endless variety of business applications.